Viva.dll and Viva_p3d.dll Issues

Get technical support for your iBlueYonder product (except Orbx sceneries) here, or report bugs or other issues.
iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Viva.dll and Viva_p3d.dll Issues

Post by iBlueYonder » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:51 pm

The Viva module is our custom DLL that allows for seasonal display of models within FSX and P3D, as well as enabling features such as animations based on wind speed and direction, time of day, etc. As such, it's pretty important to the overall functioning of Nantucket.

Most people are able to run it without issues, but a few problems have been reported.

No Terminal or FBO shows, just black patches where they should be
If viva isn't working, it will be obvious; you'll have black shapes on the ground where the main terminal and FBO should be, and there will be no grass, shrubs, or windsocks. If you're seeing this, it means somehow viva didn't install or activate correctly when you installed the scenery.

To try manually activating Viva, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Viva FS Module\ and right-click moduleinstaller.exe then choose "Run as Administrator". This will open the module installer screen. Double-check that the path(s) to your root sim folder(s) is correct. If not, browse to them so the module knows where to find FSX/P3D. Once the path is correct, click "Install Flight Simulator module(s)".
viva_installer.png
viva_installer.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 14848 times
Once you are done, you should get a prompt asking if you want to trust Viva.dll or Viva_P3D.dll when you next start your sim. Click yes, and it should load properly and show you those lovely buildings and bushes.

Viva gives you a compatibility warning on starting FSX/P3D

If you see a screen like this on starting your sim:
Please click "Check Online". The module will then phone home, and the compatibility issue should be sorted out without you having to do anything. If by chance you get a message that there is no compatibility information for your version of FSX/P3D, click "Run Once" when prompted again. This should only occur with very new versions of P3D, as FSX and all P3D versions up to 3.4.18.14975 have been tested and sorted. Clicking Don't run will result in a missing terminal, grass, and numerous other objects at KACK.

No matter how often you click "Check online", viva fails the compatibility test

A couple of users have reported that when using P3Dv3, they got the message that viva.dll was incompatible with their sim on every startup, and clicking "Check online" returned a message that there was no compatibility information for their sim version. In each case, an examination of their dll.xml file showed that entries for both viva.dll and viva_P3D.dll were present, which will cause such a conflict. It has been noted that using the Estonia P3D Migration Tool can cause this problem.

To fix it, locate your P3D dll.xml file (generally in C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3) and open it in Notepad. Do a search for "viva" and delete any entry you find for viva.dll, such as in the example below. DO NOT delete the entry for viva_P3D.dll, as that one is necessary to run in Prepar3D.

Code: Select all

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>viva.dll</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Viva FS Module\viva.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
Verifying Proper Viva Installation

1. Verify that Viva is installed: By default, Viva should be installed into your "Program Files/Viva FS Module" on 32-bit Windows and "Program Files (x86)/Viva FS Module" on 64-bit Windows. First, check to make sure that directory exists, and that it contains both viva.dll and viva_P3D.dll.

2. Make sure it's being loaded by FSX/P3D: The module is called by FSX/P3D via an entry in the dll.xml file, which is usually located in "C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" for FSX and "C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3" in P3D3. To verify the module is being called, open dll.xml and look for this entry:

FSX:

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>viva.dll</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Viva FS Module\viva.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
P3D:

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>viva_P3D.dll</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Viva FS Module\viva_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
If you don't see this entry in your dll.xml, return to the main viva folder in Program Files and right-click moduleinstaller.exe and choose "Run as Administrator". Running this should properly install Viva. Go through the above steps again to verify that it worked.
Bill Womack
Lead poly wrangler and pixel pusher

mutley

Re: Viva.dll and Viva_p3d.dll Issues

Post by mutley » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:16 am

Hi Bill,

Viva did not install by default for me, should it? The manual install worked ok, however, in my experience most users would expect a one shot installer.

Cheers,
Joe
Joe Lawford
If you love flight sim, then go http://mutleyshangar.com

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Post by iBlueYonder » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:35 am

It should have installed automatically, Joe. I'll ask the guys at JustFlight who built the installer what might have gone wrong.
Bill Womack

rob.de.vries@zonnet.nl

Post by rob.de.vries@zonnet.nl » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi Bill,

I first installed Nantucket and had no problems with Viva.
Than I installed the Heron's nest and after installing I started P3Dv3 and got the compatability warning. It told me to download the latest viva dll's at your website. I did and installed the dll's in the scenery folder of the Heron's nest as per instructions.
I started P3Dv3 and after a few seconds P3Dv3 disappeared from view. It was still in the task manager however. After deinstalling all iBlueYonder sceneries P3Dv3 started normally.

I reinstalled Heron's nest and got the same compatability warning.
I checked as per the troubleshooting section in this thread the dll.xml. And I noticed that the path to the viva modules points indeed to the scenery folder of the Heron's Nest. However in your instructions it points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Viva FS Module.
I corrected this in'dll.xml and updated the viva dll's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Viva FS Module. But all with the same result i.e. P3Dv3 starts and disappears from view and sits in task manager.

What am I doing wrong here?

Regards,
Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Post by iBlueYonder » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:28 pm

rob.de.vries@zonnet.nl wrote:Hi Bill,

I first installed Nantucket and had no problems with Viva.
Than I installed the Heron's nest and after installing I started P3Dv3 and got the compatability warning. It told me to download the latest viva dll's at your website. I did and installed the dll's in the scenery folder of the Heron's nest as per instructions.
I started P3Dv3 and after a few seconds P3Dv3 disappeared from view. It was still in the task manager however. After deinstalling all iBlueYonder sceneries P3Dv3 started normally.

I reinstalled Heron's nest and got the same compatability warning.
I checked as per the troubleshooting section in this thread the dll.xml. And I noticed that the path to the viva modules points indeed to the scenery folder of the Heron's Nest. However in your instructions it points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Viva FS Module.
I corrected this in'dll.xml and updated the viva dll's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Viva FS Module. But all with the same result i.e. P3Dv3 starts and disappears from view and sits in task manager.

What am I doing wrong here?

Regards,
Rob
Rob,

If you've uninstalled both Nantucket and the Heron's Nest, do this:

1. Install the Heron's Nest scenery.
2. In your P3D iBlueYonder folder, open the Viva folder and run the moduleinstaller.exe.
3. With the P3D version of viva selected, click "Uninstall Flight Simulator Modules".
4. Once that's done, install Nantucket normally.

Let me know how that works for you.
Bill Womack

Sleddog

Post by Sleddog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Bob;

Before I purchase Nantucket I installed "Heron's Nest" to see how things would work with my install of FSX SE. I have installed most of the items manually as I had no success with the auto install. I have most items working fine now except that I have no grass, shrubs near the cottage and no stairs...everything else seems just fine with no fps hit whatsoever! I have all the texture and scenery files and agn files installed in the add-on folders. I manually installed the viv.dll file as a stand alone item in the common folder. I have tried numerous times to perform the install as noted above with no changes...I do get a note when opening FSX "scenery Area .122 not found Click OK to continue." Any help is appreciated. I have little doubt that this issue is of my creation...but I am still stuck!

Thanks for any help...This scenery is great!

Jerry

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Post by iBlueYonder » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Sleddog wrote:Bob;

Before I purchase Nantucket I installed "Heron's Nest" to see how things would work with my install of FSX SE. I have installed most of the items manually as I had no success with the auto install. I have most items working fine now except that I have no grass, shrubs near the cottage and no stairs...everything else seems just fine with no fps hit whatsoever! I have all the texture and scenery files and agn files installed in the add-on folders. I manually installed the viv.dll file as a stand alone item in the common folder. I have tried numerous times to perform the install as noted above with no changes...I do get a note when opening FSX "scenery Area .122 not found Click OK to continue." Any help is appreciated. I have little doubt that this issue is of my creation...but I am still stuck!

Thanks for any help...This scenery is great!

Jerry
Jerry,

It's possible that you have dual entries for the Heron's Nest in your scenery.cfg. To check it, open your scenery.cfg file in notepad and do a search for "Heron's Nest". If I'm right, you'll have two entries for it. Delete the one at Area.122 and try starting the sim again to see if that fixed it. You can find your scenery.cfg file at c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE (or just FSX if you don't have the FSX-SE folder).

Let me know how you get along.
Bill Womack

Sleddog

Post by Sleddog » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:31 am

Bill;

Your reply and time spent is most appreciated.

I found the file files as you mentioned and removed any duplicates. I lost the notification when opening FSX as a result, but did not gain the missing scenery. All missing scenery appears to be "viva" files. I did note that the when I added the Area.122 I would get the notification again, without it the Area.122 in the file, no notification. I did a reinstall as noted above but continue to get a notice that old file had been replaced with the new install. I did a cursory look through other files but found nothing that looked similar.

Everything else at Heron's Island still seems to work fine.

Again, any ideas are appreciated.

Jerry

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Post by iBlueYonder » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:43 am

Sleddog wrote:Bill;

Your reply and time spent is most appreciated.

I found the file files as you mentioned and removed any duplicates. I lost the notification when opening FSX as a result, but did not gain the missing scenery. All missing scenery appears to be "viva" files. I did note that the when I added the Area.122 I would get the notification again, without it the Area.122 in the file, no notification. I did a reinstall as noted above but continue to get a notice that old file had been replaced with the new install. I did a cursory look through other files but found nothing that looked similar.

Everything else at Heron's Island still seems to work fine.

Again, any ideas are appreciated.

Jerry
Can you copy the contents of your dll.xml file and paste it here? You can find it at C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml

It will help me diagnose what's up with viva.
Bill Womack

Sleddog

Post by Sleddog » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Here is what I have now...This is how it ended up after a failed attempt to install A2A "Accufeel" via Steam....They refunded after I could not get it too work:

Launch dll.xml False False viva.dll False False C:\Program Files (x86)\MyProduct\iBlueYonder\Heron's Nest\Scenery\viva.dll Object Placement Tool True False ..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll Traffic Toolbox True False ..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll Visual Effects Tool True False ..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll

Here is the original as I saved opened in note:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>