Come See Us at FlightSimCon 2017!

Get a peek at the projects that are in the pipeline...
iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Come See Us at FlightSimCon 2017!

Post by iBlueYonder » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:38 pm

The biggest flight simulation event in North America, FlightSimCon 2017, is only a week away and we’re getting excited! iBlueYonder will be exhibiting this year, and we’ve got some good stuff planned, including a test of your piloting skills and not one but TWO big product announcements.

For those who can’t make it to this year’s show, we’ll be posting the announcements online as soon as they’re made public. For those who can, you get to take part in our first ever piloting challenge:
hn_landing_challenge_sm.jpg
hn_landing_challenge_sm.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 586 times
How good are you pilot skills? If you’re up for it, stop by our booth at FlightSimCon 2017 and sign up for the Heron’s Nest Landing Challenge. The challenge is fairly simple: using a pre-defined flight, you’ll approach the Heron’s Nest from the north in the default FSX/P3D Piper Cub. If you can safely land and taxi into the hangar barn, your name will be entered to win. Sounds simple, right? Well… it is, sort of. Bear in mind there will be a crosswind component, and those tail-draggers can be treacherous. The equipment at the show will be minimal; a joystick with twist action for the rudder. If you plan on competing, make sure you’ve got a copy of the free Heron’s Nest 2.0 scenery so you can practice beforehand.

First prize is Free iBlueYonder Products for Life! Second and third prizes are a free download of the iBlueYonder scenery of your choice, either current or future. And we definitely have some interesting projects coming up in the near future.
If there is only one winner, they automatically win first prize. If there are more than one, all names will be put in a hat with first, second, and third prizes drawn.

The challenge starts Saturday, June 10 at 3:45pm at the iBlueYonder booth.

And for everyone, a little special to brighten up the show weekend:
nantucket_sale_sm.jpg
nantucket_sale_sm.jpg (39.93 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Nantucket Island will be marked down 50% on our site from June 9-11 to celebrate the show weekend. If you haven’t gotten it yet, now would be an excellent time. We will also be rolling out a new P3D4 version very soon, along with more airport content that’s free of charge for all Nantucket owners.

See you at the Con!
Bill Womack
Lead poly wrangler and pixel pusher

Jethro7

Re: Come See Us at FlightSimCon 2017!

Post by Jethro7 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:22 am

Hello Bill,

Hope your FSCon was a successful event, with a chance to catch up with old mates and new faces.

But I was wondering if anyone was able to complete your little Herons Nest crosswind landing challenge in the J3 Cub. Not that I live close enough to make the event, it is an interesting challenge none the less.
I was doing some practice landings at the Nest with strong crosswind, it is doable but it depends on the Realism settings of course (you know how the Default Cub likes to flip over after touchdown if Realism slider's are too far right). It is also quite a challenge to nail a perfect crosswind landing the on the first approach let alone on an unfamiliar setup tail hanging out and nose pointed skyward on touch down, the frustration really sets in on subsequent fails and aborted landings. (Not such a difficult task in low wind conditions) After about 20 fails I finally managed to get the aircraft down and stopped, however skewy my eventual panic stop was.:roll:
First tried pushing forward on the stick to keep the forward view and balance until the speed washed off enough for the tail to drop, but soon found applying brakes resulted in an instant nose over, :idea: so once down I pull back hard on the stick to keep tail wheel firmly on the ground, brakes applied once the aircraft slowed with an easy taxi to the hangar, but the number of times I went through the X barriers carrying too much speed was hilarious. :lol:
Did the contestants have more than one go to get it right, or a one try fail or pass.

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Post by iBlueYonder » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:37 am

Hi Jethro,

The landing challenge was interesting. We had around 30 people sign up to take part, but only 10 or so showed up at challenge time. Of those, half successfully made the landing and taxied into the hangar barn. My favorite part was when two young guys, maybe 10 or 11 years old, managed to land and taxi in like pros. It gives me hope for the hobby!

The crosswind wasn't too severe; as I recall, it was only a 10-15 degree component, with a wind speed of 16kts. I initially had it set up for a 26kt wind, but found that I could practically hover down the runway just above ground level for almost ten minutes that way, so I reset it to less wind. We had a schedule to keep, after all!

Contestants got to practice once if they wanted before the contest started, but once we got going it was one shot only, pass/fail. Good times!

Bill
Bill Womack
Lead poly wrangler and pixel pusher

Jethro7

Post by Jethro7 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:20 am

Thanks for your reply Bill,

Yes your final crosswind setup was about the same as mine, sorry for those who missed out by not showing up, but for those that did I'm sure it was fun to watch how each one approached the test of skill at your magnificent Heron's Nest - Island landing strip.
Any slightly off runway touchdowns/excursions are sure to reveal the level below. ;)
Interesting observation about the tweenies and their obvious skill where onscreen tasks are concerned, they seem to be able to shut out all extraneous obstacles to focus only on the immediate goal, unlike us older fellas who treat the whole virtual thing like we do in the real world, we tend to make big adjustments where only a small input might be required.
It always amazes me when watching how quickly my young nephews adapt to on screen challenges, whereas when its my turn I tend to apply too much RW input expecting a better result, eventually learning by watching their hands and eye focus that they never look away from the center of screen and their control inputs are minimal. Guess we need to revise our old school techniques. Of Course it helps to have the lightning fast reaction time of a 10 yr old. :mrgreen:
Cheers Jeff (Jethro)