Can't Install SODE For Heron's Nest V2

Get technical support for your iBlueYonder product (except Orbx sceneries) here, or report bugs or other issues.
sab12

Can't Install SODE For Heron's Nest V2

Postby sab12 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:58 am

I have the problem that the SODE installation won't complete. I have to reboot my machine to get out of the hung up install.

Read the FAQ's but when I right click on the SODE.MSI I don't get a Run As Administrator as a choice. I am running Windows 10 and have the Creator's Update installed. When I first tried the Heron's Nest V2 install, Window's Defender tried to block it but I went around (or thought I did). Suspect this is another one of Windows 10's unhelpful new and poorly ducumented security features.

Do you have any suggestions for getting SODE to install.

Thanks,

Steve Bickford

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Re: Can't Install SODE For Heron's Nest V2

Postby iBlueYonder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:56 pm

So you're running as admin with virus protection off, and can't get it to install?
Bill Womack
Lead poly wrangler and pixel pusher

sab12

Postby sab12 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi Bill,

I found a Windows 10 registry update on howtogeek.com that would let me run an .msi as administrator and also shut down my Norton Security but I got exactly the same result - a hang up in the SODE installer.

Perhaps a clue - I went back and tried the whole install over. This time, I got this message in the SimObject Display Engine Setup:
"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may also indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203". When I tried the SODE install again I got the same hang up.

Aargh!

Steve Bickford

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Postby iBlueYonder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:09 pm

sab12 wrote:Hi Bill,

I found a Windows 10 registry update on howtogeek.com that would let me run an .msi as administrator and also shut down my Norton Security but I got exactly the same result - a hang up in the SODE installer.

Perhaps a clue - I went back and tried the whole install over. This time, I got this message in the SimObject Display Engine Setup:
"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may also indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203". When I tried the SODE install again I got the same hang up.

Aargh!

Steve Bickford
Let me run this past SODE's creator and see if he's got a clue what the issue might be.
Bill Womack

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Postby iBlueYonder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 pm

In doing a quick Google search, it appears that error 2203 is related to Windows permissions, or lack thereof, to install a given software. Here's an article I found on fixing the error in Windows 7 that might be of help: https://www.sevenforums.com/software/63 ... 203-a.html
Bill Womack

sab12

Postby sab12 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:56 am

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the research. The systems permissions were set in both the Windows Installer and my User folder. What wasn't set was permissions for Everyone in the Windows Installer folder which I turned on to Full Control. When I ran the SODE installer:
(1) As administrator (per how-to-geek registry edit) with my antivirus running - I got the same hangup as before
(2) As administrator with antivirus not running - I consistently get the 2203 message.

So, this fix gives me a consistent problem and implicates my antivirus (Norton Security).

(?) Did you contact the SODE developer to see if they have encountered this before?

(?) Would it be OK for me to send the SODE installer to Symantec to see if they can tell what's happening?

Thanks,
Steve

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Postby iBlueYonder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 am

I've contacted Jeffrey and described your issue to him. Hopefully he'll have some feedback soon.
Bill Womack

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Postby iBlueYonder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:05 pm

While I wait to hear back from Jeffrey, can you do me a favor? I'd like you to upload your dll.xml and exe.xml files, zipped, to your reply here. You can find them here:

FSX: C:\Users\[your account name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\
FSX-SE: C:\Users\[your account name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\
P3D: C:\Users\[your account name]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
Bill Womack

sab12

Postby sab12 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi Bill,

Attached are the files you requested zipped.

Don't know if it means anything but I have an SE alone installation and these files are from the ......\Microsoft\FSX\ folder not the FSX-SE folder which has only a dll.xml from 04/17/2017 and a exe.dll from 12/31/2016 in it. I recall that there was some kind of issue with this when I was installing Nantucket.

Steve Bickford
Attachments
SODE Diagnostic.zip
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

iBlueYonder
Site Admin

Postby iBlueYonder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:00 pm

sab12 wrote:Hi Bill,

Attached are the files you requested zipped.

Don't know if it means anything but I have an SE alone installation and these files are from the ......\Microsoft\FSX\ folder not the FSX-SE folder which has only a dll.xml from 04/17/2017 and a exe.dll from 12/31/2016 in it. I recall that there was some kind of issue with this when I was installing Nantucket.

Steve Bickford
I don't see any SODE entries in either of those two files. Could you send the FSX-SE versions as well?

Just to be clear, you are running FSX:Steam Edition as a stand-alone, as the only sim installed on your system?
Bill Womack